Worldwide, podcasts are one of the fastest growing forms of digital media. In the UK, podcast listenership has been increasing year-on-year, reaching an estimated 15.6 million listeners in 2020 according to Statista. This figure is expected to increase to over 19 million in 2024.
Covering everything from politics to comedy, the ease of consumption and the intimate connection between the listener and the content makes podcasts an extremely effective marketing tool, and a must-have for your organisation in 2021.
Benefits of Podcasts
- Building a personal connection: If your content is interesting, you have a pretty unprecedented opportunity to communicate your message / showcase your product to consumers over a 30-minute to one-hour period. It’s literally the chance to get your brand in your audience’s ear.
- A whole new revenue stream: By promoting your product within your podcast (whether that is through an advert or working it into the content), you can direct users to where they can purchase the product. If you build a large enough following you can also offer advert spaces to others.
- Increasing brand trust: If you are providing useful, engaging content / insights with your podcast, you will become a trusted voice within your industry. Whether you are the first of the first of many, you will build your sense of authority and reinforce your brand in the audience’s mind.
- Sharing ideas and building your network: If you use your podcast as an opportunity to collaborate with other industry experts, you will build your organisation’s understanding on a range of topics, plus you may be able to use these relationships for further marketing opportunities.
What you Need to Know
- Zoom: to stimulate naturally flowing conversation, Zoom can be an effective method to record podcasts as you can record an audio file version of the call
- Garageband: This programme is included on all Mac computers and can be used to record / edit audio files to create a podcast
- Audacity: Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder www.audacityteam.org
- Anchor: Anchor is an all-in-one platform where you can create, distribute, and monetise your podcast from any device, for free
Options for listing your podcast
- Spotify: In order to have your podcast listed on Spotify you need to host your podcast with one of their aggregator partners
- Apple: In order to have our podcast listed on the Apple podcast store we need to share the information on our host site with www.itunesconnect.apple.com/login
Options for hosting your podcast
- Buzzsprout: Claims to be the easiest podcasting software for hosting, promoting, and tracking your podcast. Free uploads up to 2 hours per month, $12 per month for 3 hours per month
- PodBean: Podbean is an easy and powerful way to start a podcast. Everything you need for a successful podcast. No difficult technology to learn. Free uploads up to 5 hours per month
- Spreaker: The best recording studio of any free hosting service for podcasts. Unlimited bandwidth on all subscriptions including the free version. Free uploads up to 5 hours per month
- Anchor: A complete all-in-one package for podcasts of varying skill levels and audiences. 100% free to use with unlimited storage and no cap on number of shows
If you want to hear more about how AM+A can help you set up a podcast for your organisation, get in touch by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org